1998 Bluewater 400 for sale.
The Bluewater 400 is probably the best cruising yacht ever built in Australia, with world class construction and fitout, and exceptional performance.
Artemis has been lightly used, is in excellent condition, having been largely refitted, and is ready to sail anywhere.
Designer: Joe Adams
Construction: Solid GRP with integral keel and skeg, built to survey standards
Dimensions: LOA 40’3” (12.27m) LWL 35’ (10.67m) Beam 13’1” (4m) Draft 6’3” (1.9m) Disp app 12,000 kgs
Registration: ABM141N (NSW)
Ship No: ON 856365 (Australia) Sail No: 5881
Yacht type: Sloop rigged cutter with furling headsail and furling stay sail
Launched: May 1998
Layout: 3 cabins: owner’s king size berth forward, 1 double and 1 single berth aft; head and shower
Engine: Yanmar 50 hp, professionally serviced, approx. 2300 hours
Fuel capacity: Approx 500 litres – range 1,000 NM +
Water capacity: Approx 1150 litres
Holding tank capacity: Approx 350 litres
Power: 12V and 240V – all gel cell batteries (new 2016). Exceptional housepower supported by 4 solar panels
A great looking boat that attracts compliments wherever she goes, Artemis is sea kindly and has exceptional sailing performance on all points. The raised saloon makes her light, airy and spacious and gives excellent visibility. She is fast, comfortable, safe and always a source of pride for her owner.
Hull and deck
• Renowned designer Joe Adams has produced a fast, sea kindly hull with moderate beam and sufficient volume to carry the weight of gear and provide ample stowage for extended cruising without compromising performance.
• Bluewater Cruising Yachts developed the design to incorporate the raised saloon, affording wonderful space, light and ventilation while retaining handsome and timeless lines.
• The hull is solid GRP built to benchmark standards of construction, with an integrated keel and skeg, and one piece cast lead ballast. See full details of construction on the Bluewater Cruising Yachts website www.bluewatercruisingyachts.com
• Hull antifouled and anodes replaced annually.
• Deck gear is Ronstan with a combination of Harken and Lewmar blocks and Spinlock clutches. New Harken mainsheet blocks late 2007.
• Furlers are top of the line Schaeffer with twin track foils. The headsail can be hand furled in 20 knots.
• The mainsail is carried on free running Rutgerson ball bearing track cars (battens and intermediates) for easy handling and flexible reefing.
• Traveller and headsail track and cars on ball bearing runners upgraded by BWCY 2004. All adjustable from cockpit.
• All sheets, halyards and lines lead to cockpit. Artemis is set up to be sailed single handed, with all lines accessible from the wheel.
• Anchor – Danforth 50lb on 300’ gal chain (New 2016).
• Anchor plates in heavy duty polished ss with robust bronze brushes.
• Windlass – Muir controls at bow and helm (New 2014). Auto anchor 560 V2. • Deckwash, salt water, mounted adjacent to windlass and anchor locker, new Johnson high pressure pump 2006.
• Pulpit and pushpit in robust polished 316 ss with pushpit integrated in bimini and davit arch. Extra seats (attractive varnished Australian hardwood) in pushpit.
• Robust ss lifeline stanchions mounted on base and bulwarks, with triple lifelines, to survey standards. Rigid and secure. Lifelines new 2011.
• Attractive, maintenance free and robust polished ss handholds on the length of the trunk top afford great security when moving on deck. • Boarding gates port & starboard, with custom built demountable steps for dockside boarding.
• Boarding gate at transom, with steps and ss handholds from swim platform. • Swim platform with fold down ss swim ladder, hot & cold shower in transom locker.
• Nav lights – single unit at bow; tricolour at masthead; stern light in bimini arch.
• Dinghy davits – robust and attractive construction – one person can easily launch and recover Zodiac RIB with 3 hp outboard.
• Outboard carrying plate mounted on pushpit.
• Covers and screens – canvas covers for all deck hatches; dark shade covers for all saloon windows double as curtains for privacy dockside.
• Heavy duty fitted shade cover / boom tent covers trunk top and deck to lifelines, with additional shade cover for foredeck.
• Fitted removable or rollaway shade covers to completely surround cockpit provide full shade with unrestricted airflow for summer cruising.
• Similar clear screens afford full cockpit protection in foul weather. (Tested in gusts to 65 kts on the dock at Lake Macquarie.)
• Deck – fibreglass with moulded non-slip surface. Practical, cool, no maintenance and no leaks.
• Cockpit – teak over glass in excellent condition.
• Discrete and functional bulwarks with adequate scuppers enhance safety and security and contribute to the attractive sheer of the boat.
• Alloy toe rail with polished ss fairleads to robust mooring cleats at bow, mid ship and stern. Practical, versatile and attractive.
• Hull and deck polished/waxed (Fully detailed Dec 2017).
• Evolution Onesails genoa 42.5 sqm. Premium dacron with sun cover (New 2013). Excellent condition.
• Evolution Onesails furling staysail 10 sqm 9 Oz Premium Dacron with sun cover (New 2013). Excellent condition.
• Mainsail North Marathon #DL fully battened with 3 reef points Rutgerson track cars (New 2007). Good condition.
• MPS with snuffer Hood (New 2004). Excellent condition.
• Sparcraft mast, deck stepped (Repainted 2011).
• Selden boom, white powdercoat, single line reefing reeved for three reefing points (New 2009).
• Original Dutchman boom brake.
• Spinnaker pole mounted on mast track.
• All reefing lines, furling lines, spinnaker halyard and sheets all in excellent condition (Most new 2011).
• Standing rigging in 316 ss (New 2011).
• Retractable running backstays to cockpit, Spectra (New 2006).
• Winches in cockpit – 2 x primaries 56; 2 x secondaries 40; 2 x mainsheet located on trunktop at companionway. One winch on the mast for halyards.
• All winches Arco polished stainless steel, 2 speed and serviced regularly.
• Built for cruising – spacious, comfortable and secure. The coamings offer excellent back support; the seats are long enough to stretch out on and with the comfortable cushions make a great day berth.
• Custom fold out varnished teak table and drinks holder.
• Cockpit light – red light option for night vision.
• Custom teak floor in excellent condition.
• Custom made cockpit cushions in attractive all weather fabric.
• Sheet organisers keep ropes ordered and out of the way.
• Continuous mainsheet with winches on the trunk top port and starboard means she can be trimmed from either side.
• Full instrumentation (New Garmin 2016).
• Three small lockers in the cockpit and a huge lazarette aft.
• Additional dedicated gas locker for two 20kg bottles in ss retainers.
• Swim platform with strong ss foldaway ladder and hot & cold shower.
• Extra seating in aft corners – attractive varnished Australian hardwood.
• Spray dodger, bimini, clear fill panel on strong ss frames, with removable clear cockpit screen panels – fully enclose the cockpit and aft deck for foul weather (All new 2012).
• Custom cockpit shade screens allow full air flow but keep things cool in the summer.
• Galleymate 1000 ss bbq with 20kg gas bottle.
• Full mooring covers (New 2012).
Mechanical and propeller
• Engine – Yanmar 4JH2 naturally aspirated diesel, 50 HP with fresh water cooling system, fastidiously maintained and professionally serviced – approx. 2300 hours.
• Custom raw water inlet filter.
• Dual CAV primary fuel filters – owner has never had a fuel blockage to the engine.
• Spacious, well lit engine room with good access from behind piano hinged companionway on ss gas struts and removable side panel – allows easy maintenance and servicing. The spotless presentation speaks for itself.
• High output engine room lower venting through transom.
• Autostream 20” ss 3 blade feathering propeller (New mid 2005) on new 316 ss prop shaft to allow over-standard prop (Full service December 2017).
• Spare fixed 3 blade 18” prop.
• PSS stern gland, totally dry.
• Engine/gearbox (Serviced Dec 2017).
• Engine mixing elbow (New 2009).
Steering and controls
• Whitlock ‘Cobra’ rack & pinion direct drive system.
• 36” (915mm) ss wheel with custom leather cover (Leather new 2006).
• Whitlock Morse single lever engine/gear control, adjustable friction control.
• Garmin GHC20 autohelm. Fully integrated controls at helm and nav station (New 2016).
• Strong and functional emergency tiller.
Safety & fire fighting
• RFD ‘Prosaver’ 4 person life raft in canister on secure custom built deck mount & cover (New 2011).
• Mobilert Crewsafe with 6 crew pendants – the best warning and track back MOB system in the world. Peace of mind for short handed cruisers and families.
• GME EPIRB (New 2010).
• Life ring and strobe mounted on pushpit rails.
• Lifesling MOB recovering buoy mounted on pushpit and recovery gear.
• Flare canister and abundant flares.
• Fire extinguishers – 1 forward, 2 in saloon & galley, 1 large in aft lazarette.
• Fire blanket in galley.
• DVK gas & fume monitor system.
• Bilge pumps – 1 Whale Gusher Titan manual bilge pump from cockpit; 2 x Whale 9000 electric bilge pumps under cabin sole.
• Webbing jack stays with ss attachments; 4 x clip on points in cockpit.
• Boom brake to prevent accidental jibes of the main boom.
• Passive safety features – abundant handholds right through the boat; robust ss handholds on raised saloon deck; non-slip surface on the wide and secure companionway.
• New switch board and wiring including LCD display (New 2013) including BEP battery monitor.
• High output (80A) Alternator.
• 4 x Solarex solar panels mounted above bimini – provide sufficient trickle charge through BP solar regulator (New 2006) to keep batteries topped up and 12V fridge running summer & winter.
• Power significantly upgraded from standard. Batteries – 6 house, 1 starter (New 2014). All batteries secured under custom built ss retention plates and housing base – cannot move in any conditions. Exceptional house capacity with years of service to go.
• 2 x 12V charge sockets with torch plug units at chart table; 1 in head locker.
• Mastervolt 40A charger (New 2004).
• 240V from shoot power – input socket in cockpit; 1 double GPO from shore power.
Navigation, instruments, radios and entertainment
• Full sized navigation table with ample space for charts and extras under piano hinged lid.
• Garmin XV MFD 10.4” radar (New 2014).
• GPS 8000 glass helm series screen at helm and on HF.
• Garmin digital wind; speed / log; depth / water temp – located over companionway, with digital multi-display repeater at chart-table (All new system 2016).
• Garmin VHS 100/200 series (New 2016).
• Fusion MS-Razon Marine stereo with blue tooth (New 2016).
• Xien 19” TV/DVD (New 2009).
Tankage and plumbing
• Diesel – 450 litres in 2 x ss tanks under aft berths with twin fillers and breathers to transom. Inspection lids and baffles fitted. Always maintained with biocide.
• Water – 1150 litres in 3 tanks, located in structural floors. Sufficient baffles fitted, lined with 4 coats of epoxy. Accessible freshwater inlet and outlet manifolds. Superb water capacity and storage quality. Never miss a shower.
• Holding tank approx. 350 litres located in structural floors. High output manual discharge overboard and pump out station.
• 50 litre hot water system off engine – excellent heat retention.
• Johnson 2.5 gpm high pressure freshwater pump to galley, with manual cold water hand pump in addition (New 2009).
• High pressure salt water deck wash pump, upgraded from standard. Dual filter inlet. Outlet adjacent to chain licker (Pump new 2006).
• All plumbing labelled and accessible.
• All through-hull fittings & sea cocks in bronze or ss – all labelled; tapered wooden plugs attached to all by lanyard.
Galley and refrigeration
• At the foot of the companionway on portside is the large and functional galley, in a secure U-shaped layout. The location close to the centre of the boat affords minimum motion at sea (New Corian bench tops 2010).
• Adequate bench space and outstanding stowage in 4 drawers and 6 lockers. Custom fittings for crockery, glasses and cups (incl).
• Twin ss sinks with hot & cold pressure water and auxiliary freshwater hand pump.
• Maxi Tudor LPG stove with two burners, separate grill and oven.
• The large chart table adjacent affords extra preparation space at anchor.
• Large top-opening ss fridge/freezer with U-tec plate from engine driven compressor (spare compressor on board), with removable ss racks/baskets. Ample insulation affords good performance in the hottest tropical conditions.
• Additional front opening 12V fridge with freezer Isoterm Cruiser fridge 130/8 (New 2013.
Interior fitout and layout
• The immediate impression as you step below on Artemis is the light, space and freshness of the saloon and accommodations, and the quality of the fitout in traditional but light toned teak. The raised saloon affords outstanding headroom and visibility, and ventilation is excellent.
• Layout – from forward: o Forward cabin behind a structural collision bulkhead – king size berth with infill panel and ample lockers for personal stowage. Under the berth are 5 huge stowage lockers. Hella 2 speed fan and personal reading lights, 2 opening portholes with deadlights (New 2009).
o Immediately behind is the head to port with a large hanging wet locker, and on the opposite side of the passageway, the owner’s wardrobe area with two large cupboards with shelves, and a large hanging locker.
o Separated by an attractive teak bulkhead is the spacious saloon area (extra door fitted 2009), featuring a U-shaped dinette with comfortable seating for 6 at a large teak table with adequate but unobtrusive fiddles.
Opposite is the settee, seating 3 adults and long enough to make an excellent sea berth, right in the centre of the boat where it should be. Lee sheets fitted.
o The saloon features 6 large lockers (one being a custom built cocktail cabinet), bookshelves and tv/video entertainment unit.
Below and behind the dinette and settees are further huge stowage lockers.
o Upgraded seating throughout with bolstered cushions in practical fabric (New 2010).
o Portside at the foot of the companionway is the large galley in a secure U-shaped layout, with the navigation area opposite to starboard, featuring an attractive, functional teak chart table with piano hinged lid opening to a large chart/storage area; additional cupboards and hatches.
o Continuing aft, behind the galley to port is a comfortable single berth with lee sheet. Opposite on starboard, with the engine room between, is a private double cabin with two lockers (1 hanging), and stowage hatches.
• Excellent lighting throughout, with switchover red lights in galley and nav area for night vision. Low draw compact fluoros in galley and saloon.
• Two Hella 2 speed 12V fans in saloon. • Fastidiously maintained and revarnished with a minimum 3 coats through 2006-2007, the interior presents superbly.
• Electric Jabsco (New 2014).
• Moulded hand basin with mirrored cupboard above and further cupboard below.
• Large wet locker.
• Spacious shower area.
Exceptional stowage is a feature of the Bluewater 400.
• Custom toolbox / winch handle stowage in top step of companionway. • Adequate storage for mooring lines, fenders, etc. in forward lazarette/chain locker.
• Huge lazarette aft of cockpit. • Stowage lockers for sail ties, gloves, personal gear in 3 cockpit lockers. • Abundant storage for clothing, provisions and equipment throughout the boat – adequate for the longest passages and liveaboard plans. • All cupboards in teak with secure door catches, flowcoated inside for easy cleaning.
Dinghy & Davits
• Zodiac 3.0m 4 person RIB with webbing straps for davit and collapsible oars (New 2010) – rarely used.
• Mercury 3 hp outboard – will plane with 2 aboard (New 2010) – rarely used (Serviced Dec 2017).
• Robust ss davits, attractively incorporated in bimini / solar panel frame – easily launch dingy with outboard, single handed.
Manuals and operating systems • Comprehensive manufacturers’ manuals.
For sale with DBY Boat Sales Pittwater Office in Newport. Please call +61 2 9999 3311 for an inspection. For additional high resolution photos and detailed inventory, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Princes St Marina
16 Princes Street, Newport Beach
Sydney, New South Wales 2106